- 2 cups jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 lbs center-cut pork chops, - 1/2 inch strips
- soy sauce
- vegetable oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon, zested & juiced
- 0.5 (58 ounce) packages oriental-style vegetables, thawed
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- toasted sesame oil
- Cook the rice according to package directions. In the meantime, in a bowl, combine the pork and ¼ cup soy sauce. Toss to combine and set aside for 20 minute.
- In a wok, over high heat, add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and when hot, add the pork and stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minute Remove and set aside.
- To the wok, over high heat, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and when hot, add the garlic, ginger and lemon zest and cook until fragrant, about 30 sec. Add in the vegetable mix and stir-fry for about, 2 to 4 minute.
- Return the pork; add 1 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, lemon juice and basil, mix well and stir-fry for about 2 to 3 minute Lightly drizzle with the toasted sesame oil, mix well, plate and serve along side the rice.
- 12 large white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, inced
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh rosemary leaf
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter a shallow baking dish.
- Snap stems off mushrooms and chop. Please caps with tops down in buttered dish.
- Melt butter in a medium size skillet. Add garlic and mushroom stems. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add wild rice, cream, salt and pepper and boil 1 minute, stirring until mixture is thickened.
- Spoon wild rice mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and top each with two or three leaves of rosemary.
- Bake 10-15 minues or until hot.
- Serve warm.
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, roasted, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk ( or 5% cream)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Put the first 8 ingredients into a stock pot, or large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Use an immersion blender, and puree the soup until no lumps remain, or puree in batches in a food processor or blender. (careful, it's hot!).
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir to blend, or use the immersion blender again, to get a nice smooth soup.
- Taste to adjust any seasoning.
- Bring it back to a simmer.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, partially baked ( see above)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup half-and-half. On the defrost or low heat setting, microwave 1 minute. Whisk lightly and then repeat until mixture is melted and smooth. Make sure mixture is warmed just enough to melt the chocolate; the hotter this chocolate cream gets, the less creamy the baked pie will be.
- Place brown sugar in a separate bowl and break up any lumps. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, mixing until smooth. Whisk in corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually whisk about one-quarter of this egg mixture into chocolate and blend well. It is important to whisk in the eggs slowly and steadily. Continue adding eggs while whisking until all are combined. Pour chocolate custard into pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 45 minutes, until the filling is puffy and set around the edges but the center still shimmies. If you want a denser pie, bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, until it puffs up evenly. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate until set completely, 3 to 4 hours.
- Make Sweetened Whipped Cream: In a chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters, whip 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Makes 2 3/4 cups.
- Make Chocolate Sauce: Place chocolate chips and remaining 1 tablespoon half-and-half in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on low heat until melted, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Mound Sweetened Whipped Cream over pie, spreading to edges. Drizzle warm chocolate sauce over whipped cream in a random pattern. Serve at once or refrigerate up to a day. Makes 1 (9-inch) pie, 8 servings.
- 12 eggs
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- pickle juice
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- Put cold eggs in enough cold water to cover by a few inches. Bring to a boil and let cook for about five minutes -- then remove from heat for about 15 or 20 minutes. Put eggs into the coldest ice water you know how to make and chill them til they are thoroughly cold. Probably 20 minutes or so. Your eggs should peel easily without the shells sticking.
- While eggs are cooking- put onion slices into the pickle juice jar.
- Peel and smash the garlic cloves by simply pressing them with the palm of your hand on a cutting board til they split open and throw them into the jar as well.
- If you want a spicier egg -- then add red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce like Tobasco to the mix.
- Add the eggs.
- Let them sit in the fridge as long as you can stand it before eating. Try for at least a few days. The longer they soak the more pickled they will be.
- If you like really hot and spicy throw a small can of pickled jalapenos and their juice in with the brined eggs.